Saturday, September 10, 2011

Fire and the Canine Species




I’ve always had a soft spot for the canine species.

And I’m sometimes repelled at myself for feeling a much harder tug at my heart-strings when I see an unfed dog walking along a deserted road then when I see an actual person begging for money on a random corner so they can make it through the day.

I’m not proud of this. But I can’t help it.

So it’s safe to say that when I there was a dog in the distance and the son begged his father not to kill it, which he didn’t, I felt relief.

But that’s of no importance.

What truly got my attention was when the father told his son that nothing bad was going to happen, he backed up this statement with “Because we’re carrying the fire.”

Of course, literally, this could mean they have some sort of torch that has the double-use of providing light and the ability of burning someone’s ass in the rare chance they got too close.

But we’re not talking literally, are we?

So what could ‘fire’ possibly mean? Destruction? An eternal love? Desire and determination? All I know is that fire is something that burns so passionately and determinedly and has a magnanimous power for creation or destruction. And maybe the both of them have this undying flame of determination that renders it impossible for anything to get in their way. They carry resolve, desire, hopes, and persistence. What else do they need? (Besides a world that hasn’t gone all Abra-kadabra/WWII/destruction on them…?)

But who’s complaining?

No comments:

Post a Comment