Thursday, September 1, 2011

Alabaster Bones, Memories, and A Pretty Messed Up World


So I find myself in an isolated place where creatures with white eyes and alabaster bones drink water from a lake and where people walk with a chrome motorcycle mirrors on a shopping cart to check if they’re being followed.

Fine.

Not ‘people’. More like two persons. Father and son trying to live in this atrocity of a mess.

Where in the world is this taking place? Ah, wait. I already know this. (I just wanted to make everything all the more dramatic). It’s in post-apocalyptic America, just in case it was still an unknown fact.

The idea itself is pretty thoughtful. But I can’t help but ask myself some things.

Every time the boy or the father talks, not once do I see the existence of quotations. Of course, this must be done on purpose, but what type of tone or message it’s trying to convey is beyond me. Does Corman want to somehow explain to me that with the destruction of almost every living thing and very visible material and city chaos, there also comes the extinction of writing laws?

Guess so.

And since when do ‘slutlamps’ exist? Maybe it’s a commonly known term which I just happen to not be very acquainted with. But even if it is, how can I not imagine a very, how shall I say this? Promiscuous, (in other words, slutty) female with lights piercing from every visible crevice in her body. Why is that?

As for the actual story, I’ve got to say there is a very interesting and creative plot thing going on. People isolated from humanity and they’re left in a messed-up, ash filled world. Never heard that one before, have you? Well. I have.

I’m not saying I don’t like The Road. I mean, there are some very interesting ideas mixed into it that truly make me think. Like when the father says that “You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.” Which in a weird way makes sense, and makes me wonder if that were to happen to me, just how out-of-my-mind and suicidal would I be? But let’s not go there.

And maybe the way the man happens to come across what used to be a farm and describes the very recent trash on the floor, as well as the newsprint and the broken china while furniture and a stuffed animal take up a boy’s room. What used to be a boy’s room. This makes it seem so recent. It’s as if just the day before someone had been living here and so I wonder if this so-called catastrophe is recent. And then I remember that in the beginning the man states that they had been like this for years. Which in itself is so pitiful in the way that everything looks just like it did that oh-so-unfortunate day, and everything is a walking memory of the good times that are gone forever.

The concepts and the quotes, as well as the thoughts, are pretty deep. And not just deep as in ‘they sound so metaphorical and yet they make no sense’ deep, but more the ‘this is truly inspiring and I wonder what that would be like’ deep.

And I still can’t help but wonder.













No comments:

Post a Comment